Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bettis said he faked injury to keep Steelers from cutting him


(AP) - Jerome Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, claims in a new book that he faked a knee injury during training camp in 2000 so the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't cut him and install Richard Huntley as the starter.

Bettis was worried offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride favored Huntley over him and the Steelers were ready to let Bettis go, partly so they wouldn't have to give him a new contract. Huntley had just signed a $4 million, three-year contract.

"Man, did I do a nice job of acting," Bettis wrote in the book, "The Bus: My Life in and Out of a Helmet." "The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play. Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary."

Swweeet... Jerome Bettis is the man, and a large one at that. Also, I am not positive about this, but I believe Tiki Barber has somewhat taken Bettis' spot on NBC's Football Night in America pregame show on Sunday nights. If this is the case than I'm truly pissed. Jerome Bettis is a Superbowl Champion baby and one of the best running backs of all time who will definitely be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, while Tiki Barber is one of the biggest tools on this planet. Jerome doesn't really call out former teammates or make ridiculous remarks on how Michael Vick will still get the respect of future teammates like Tiki. Jerome just says, "hey, I'm 'The f*cking Bus', and there is nothing you gonna do about it." CHUUUUUUCH!!

No comments: