Monday, July 16, 2007

Friday the 13th javelin accident

Well, if you haven't looked under the sports category on youtube this past weekend you have not seen the incredibly horrible javelin accident at the Rome Golden League games on Friday the 13th, every single one of the "most watched today" is this javelin thing. I wanted to put the video up, but decided against it due to the fact that I do not know the condition of the long jumper who got hit, but I just wanted to say something about this situation.

I sincerely hope the guy that got hit is o.k. and I believe that he is, but seriously, people need to realize the historic purpose of the javelin, which is literally "the name of a pole weapon designed primarily for casting as a ranged weapon" The javelin is meant to maim, gash, slash, stab, hurt pierce, puncture, and wound; it has been for thousands of years. I don't know about you, but if someone was throwing one of these weapons as hard and far as they could and I was within say 500 feet, you can bet that I'd be paying attention.

I'm not saying that the guy who got hit by the javelin is in the wrong. All I'm saying is that I've seen people get hit with javelins before (sports bloopers) at Olympic-style games, and I just don't understand why anyone that is within 100 feet of this hurled weapon wouldn't be paying attention to where the spear-like object is going to land. I honestly hope the guy is o.k., but if anyone is throwing a similar object to what Gallic, Roman, and Greek cavalry used to soften enemies before a frontal attack then I am watching, for sure. I mean, seriously... it's a javelin.

No comments: